I’m Sabla`, pronounced (suh-blay) and Im a 17 year old Fashion Design student in my senior year of High School. I work at American Apparel just to add some extra money to my pocket but more importantly I’m an aspiring designer, blogger, artist, and analyzer lol. The look I put together is just a combination of all my top favorite kind of things to wear and I wanted to “feminize” my look up a bit because I’ve been dressing very masculine lately. The gold skirt I’m wearing is actually a dress I made into a skirt and I wore it high waisted because I feel high waisted items look best on me due to my thin frame, plus I just simply like it. Gold is the only metallic accent I wear and probably will ever wear. My wide brim hat and denim shirt is the masculine touch of the whole look, I ‘m a sucker for collars and beaded jewelry. Not much of a fan of bandeaus so it kind of shocks me that I even threw one on for this look and actually liked it.
- On creating sablagoldensense: My initial goal for my blog sablagoldensense.blogspot.com was for it to be a fashion blog because around the time I was a huge reader of many fashion bloggers such as Karen of www.wheredidugetthat.com, and Travis Gumbs & Joshua Kissi of www.StreetEtiquette.com. But over time as GoldenSense progressed as well as I, I realized I’m not just about Fashion, I’m about music, poetry, art, etc also. So, that’s what I wanted to showcase and that’s exactly what I began to do.
- Who inspired your style most in 2011? Menswear inspired my style in 2011 but not more than my own personal creativity and taste. I don’t want to wear something that makes someone say “this look like something such & such would wear,” I want it to be like “This look like something Sabla` would wear.”
- Describe your personal style? Ahh! This question has always been a tough one for me. I guess I will describe my style as eclectic, comfortable, creative, and a bit obnoxious on occasions.
- Favorite designers? My favorite designers are Carly Cushnie & Michelle Ochs of Cushnie Et Ochs and of course Alexander McQueen because he was more than a designer, he was an artistic GENIUS. The stuff he came up with was beyond spectacular and breath taking.
- Style Icons? Solange Knowles, Erykah Badu, and Janelle Monae
- Favorite/Least Favorite current Fashion Trend? I Love the whole ombre & color blocking trend. I dislike the patriotic trend of sporting the American flag everywhere especially if you’re not even patriotic.
- If you could what trend from the last 2 decades would you like to bring back? Well, I hate everything that was trending in the early 2000’s but the 90’s I feel everything amazing has been brought back or have been attempted to be brought back. I’m going to get a bit crazy and say reeboks, I want to see them make a comeback again and how they will throw their brand mainstream again. Maybe they should partner up with Jeremy Scott.
- Does your everyday life play a role in the way you dress? Yes it does. It goes with how I’m feeling that day or how much time I have. Plus going to a very creative school I can get away with some “obnoxious” looks without being patronized about it.
- Besides blogging and school, do you have any other projects you are working on? It may not be considered a project but I’m an athlete, Im captain of the Softball & Track Team, and co-captain of the Volleyball Team. I’m focused on winning medals and plaques this year so I’m training hard. But to get back to Fashion, I am working on a collection with a very good friend of mine.
- When you hear the term “BlackFashion” What comes to mind? I think of Black culture being conveyed through Style & Fashion in an influential, powerful way. When I hear Black I think of Power, when I hear Fashion I think of Influence. Black Fashion is Powerful Influence.
Check out Sabla’s blog sablagoldensense.blogspot.com and tell her we sent you!